In food and technologie, we made some lamingtons, it's really typical of Australia ( and also really good)
The recipe :
Oven, 170 degrees
3/4 cup of SR flour
Icing 1 tablespoon cornflour
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg ( beaten)
1/4 cup milk
1. Prepare tin by lining with baking paper and greasing well
2. Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl
3. Using an electric beater, beat on low speed for 1 minute or until ingredients are just moistened.
4.Beat on high for 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth, free of lumps and has increased in volume.
5.Place in a prepared tin, only 3/4 full. ( only spare mixture could go in another mixture )
6. Bake for 35 minutes or until the mixture is golden brown. and a skewer comes at clean.
7. Leave the bake in tin for 5 minutes before turning at into a wire rack to cool completely.
2 cups icing sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
2 teaspoons melted margarine
1/3 cup milk
1. Sift the icing sugar with the cocoa in a medium bowl
2. Add the milk and margarine and mixe well.
3. Stand the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until the icing is smooth/ glossy
5. Cut the lamington sponge cake into desired size.
6. Using 2 forks, roll a piece of cake in the icing, hold over the bowl, allow excess to drain.
7. Place on a wire cake cooler to dry.
8. Reheat icing if it thickens too much.
The real recipe adds coconut on the lamington, but my team and me deleted this part because we didn't like it.
So if you want coconut, just roll the lamington in siccated coconut after his bath in the icing.